Eltham Mudbrick Tour
Join us for an hour or the whole day viewing classic Eltham Mudbrick houses.
The Eltham Mudbrick Tour showcases a range of mudbrick houses. It is a once-a-year opportunity for you to discover more than half a century’s worth of experimentation, design and construction – and the importance of Nillumbik Shire’s earth building heritage in the Australian alternative housing movement.
The Tour maintains an over 50-year tradition pioneered by Alistair Knox. It is run by Eltham High School community volunteers to support the school’s renowned music program.
The 2017 Tour is on Sunday 22nd October with houses open from 10.00am to 4.00pm. Parking is limited, but regular shuttle services manned by volunteers will take you between each house.
Check back with us for more details on the houses that will be open to the public this year and follow us on Facebook.
Eltham Mudbrick Tour 2017
This year’s tour features mudbrick houses on Harcourt Hill in Eltham, otherwise known as ‘the Hill’. This undulating and densely vegetated terrain situated north of Bridge St and west of Diamond Creek first experienced intense development after World War II.
However, this year’s Etham Mudbrick Tour will showcase unique homes constructed more recently between 1987 and 2001: two built by Michael Young, one designed by Trevor Weichmann, and another built by Bill Barrington with an extension designed by Lynnsay Prunotto. The latter’s garden features the work of native landscaper Sam Cox.
We very gratefully acknowledge our major sponsor Nillumbik Shire Council and Montsalvat Trust as key supporters of the tour, and our 2017 gold sponsors: ADMA Group, Morrison Kleeman and the Nillumbik Mudbrick Association.
We would like to thank our 2017 silver and bronze sponsors for providing their valuable support and contributions to this year’s event… those who continue to support the tour and those who have jumped on board !
Please give them support as they support us.
ACE Contractors | (03) 9431 3944
- Providers of civil, infrastructure, landscaping, electrical, environmental, equipment and water services.
- Commonwealth Bank Eltham | (03) 9439 3222
Doug Hails | 0408 543 167
Furnlac (Australia) Pty Ltd | 03 9431 4424
- Polishers of wood , veneer and MDF products. Contact Robert Love.
GN & AJ Scott Builders | 0418 103 193
- Mud Brick homes and renovations.
Golden Cypress | 0408 372 600
- Golden Cypress sustainable timber is strong, durable, ethical, termite resistant and chemical free.
Grimes & Sons | 03 9437 0733
- Paints and stains since 1956.
Indigenous Design Environmental & Landscaping Consultants | 03 9437 0555
- Environmental Services | Land Management | Landscaping
Lume Architecture | 03 9431 5717
- Sustainable and pleasing architecture.
Recycled Timber Specialists | 0438 792 164
- We deal exclusively in Recycled and Environmentally Sustainable timbers.
Rinet IT | 0427 057 260
- Affordable effective websites for business and non profit orgs. Specialising in membership sites.
Russell Lockwood | 0407 097 995
SLOCUM Floorcoverings | 03 9439 6066
- We can assist you with all of your flooring requirements.
Specialist Termite Control | 1300 695 949
- We know about termites because that is all we do.
The Salvage Yard | 0435 500 112
- Recycled building and sculptural materials.
W & G Frith Plumbing | 0418 333 054
- All types of plumbing with just one phone call.
Walkers Wheels – The Monty Bike Shop | (03) 9432 2113
- Selling you the right bicycle to help you love cycling.
We would like to thank our loyal and committed event partners for their efforts in making this year’s tour happen: